What is an Individual Career Academic Plan (ICAP)?
The term ICAP refers to both a process that helps students engage in academic and career development activities and a product that is created and maintained for students’ academic, career and personal advancement.
ICAP is a student-driven, ongoing process that actively engages students, enabling them to:
- Understand their own interests, strengths, values and learning styles
- Create a vision of their future
- Develop individual goals
- Prepare a personal plan for achieving their vision and goals
As illustrated in the table below, the difference between the two columns is that with ICAP, the product (the plan) is intended to be dynamic and flexible, reflecting the following:
- Students’ coursework, learning and assessment results
- Students’ post-secondary plans, aligned with their career, academic and personal/social goals and financial reality
- Students’ records of college- and career-readiness activities